Find a Cabinet Painter in Milford, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Milford
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated appearance. Common wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
How can I choose a cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you consider provides written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than expected.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Milford, New Jersey, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll need to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Milford, New Jersey Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
A quick way to boost the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Milford, New Jersey varies, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When hunting for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Milford, New Jersey confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.