Find Deck Staining in Mount Ephraim, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What part of the year is recommended for performing a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
What prep has to be conducted before staining a deck?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be performed to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the style of your house and lawn.
Is there a significant variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's important to analyze which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires more maintenance because of peeling and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of defense from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is right for you and your home.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck provides several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you may think by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to deliver excellent results. The climate in Mount Ephraim, NJ poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include keeping out insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Mount Ephraim, NJ on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its look and delivering unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Mount Ephraim, NJ and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.