Find Deck Staining in Ocean View, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a specific time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive moisture will extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep will a contractor carry out before diving into deck staining?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to guarantee a good result. Vegetation should be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your house and yard.
Would painting my deck be a better option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's important to assess which option most meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense against water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is best for your needs.
Does staining a deck provide any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck brings several benefits, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Ocean View, New Jersey is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Ocean View, New Jersey on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for a few years if properly cured.
Staining a deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Ocean View, New Jersey and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.