Find Deck Staining in Ogdensburg, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big difference in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's important to consider which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also demands more upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering better protection from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for you and your home.
Does staining a deck give any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the look of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The weather in Ogdensburg, NJ poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long can I expect a contractor to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that requires careful preparation and application to get the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleaned of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application of the stain. Anything around the work area, like walkways and buildings, will have to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you choose the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's critical that the deck is not used and that the weather is suitable for the curing step.
All of these steps can be complex and tedious, but attention to detail is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
Is there a certain season that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Ogdensburg, NJ on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and delivering long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers more versatility in colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath constant foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Ogdensburg, NJ and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.