Find a Cabinet Painter in Perth Amboy, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Perth Amboy
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any difference with cabinet paint and regular paint?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sleek look. Typical wall paints may not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Is it simple to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to begin is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any contractor you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Do I have to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's always tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the average price for an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Perth Amboy, New Jersey, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Choose a Cabinet Painter in Perth Amboy, New Jersey Who Will Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Perth Amboy, New Jersey varies, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all important information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Perth Amboy, New Jersey confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.