Find Deck Staining in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a particular time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What steps must be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Careful prep of your deck and the surrounding area must be performed to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation will need to be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed or sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid typically providing the most protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your house and grounds.
Does deck staining give fewer advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's essential to assess which option most suits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands more upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is best for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and providing long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives better versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away under steady use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the project. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.