Find a Cabinet Painter in Port Murray, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which type of paint I use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint typically used for home walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their modern appearance. Common wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
How do I pick a cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to begin is by knowing precisely what look you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Check that any professional you consider provides documentation of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by checking their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep phase necessary when painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing cost of painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Port Murray, New Jersey, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter in Port Murray, New Jersey to Bring Your Vision to Life
A quick way to increase the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Port Murray, New Jersey fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Find all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Port Murray, New Jersey easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.