Find a Cabinet Painter in Red Bank, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter which kind of paint I choose for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sleek appearance. Typical wall paints may not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my project?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any contractor you consider gives documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I just paint over my present cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What factors are considered when it comes to the cost for painting cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Red Bank, New Jersey, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Red Bank, New Jersey Who Can Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to boost the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Red Bank, New Jersey fluctuates, but many homeowners still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be happy to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Red Bank, New Jersey easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.