Find a Cabinet Painter in Roseland, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Roseland
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the style of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant appearance. Typical wall paints might not stick properly to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's always enticing to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the typical cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Roseland, NJ, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Roseland, NJ Who Will Bring Your Vision to Reality
A quick way to boost the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Roseland, NJ fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Roseland, NJ easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.