Find a Cabinet Painter in Rutherford, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Rutherford
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any difference between cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated look. Typical wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
How can I determine if I've found the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to begin is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any painter you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project commences that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Do I need to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How do you estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are many things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Rutherford, New Jersey, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter in Rutherford, New Jersey Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to increase the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Rutherford, New Jersey varies, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your present cabinets might be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Rutherford, New Jersey easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.