Find Deck Staining in Rutherford, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which time of the year is recommended for conducting my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that are taken?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the look of your home and yard.
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's essential to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands more maintenance because of flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has other advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering better defense from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the price if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Rutherford, New Jersey poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Rutherford, New Jersey on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides better variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can guarantee excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Rutherford, New Jersey and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.