Find a Cabinet Painter in Saddle River, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Saddle River
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any difference with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for interior walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Which qualities do I search for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by knowing exactly what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you hire provides written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's always tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than expected.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Saddle River, New Jersey, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter in Saddle River, New Jersey Who Can Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to boost the value of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Saddle River, New Jersey varies, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Saddle River, New Jersey confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.