Find a pro in Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The time that is needed to replace a roof really depends on the measurements of your roof, but there are also a lot of other things to consider. The typical residential roof is approximately 3,000 sq. feet (sometimes less), so generally speaking, a roofing contractor can complete a roof replacement within a day.
Another thing you should take into account is the projected weather in your area. Bad weather will put a stop to work and this is going to stall the project. If bad weather is expected to happen during your roof replacement project, you could expect your roof to take a few more days to get done.
The layout of your roof is another thing that you should think about. Its grade, the number of joints, valleys, and hips will need to be accounted for when your roofing contractor is quoting you on your project. A roof with more features will take more time and your roof replacement contractor will be able to come up with the hours for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The most affordable style of roof is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the cheaper option, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. In actuality, you’ll see most residential properties in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs since they are durable and serve the purpose of creating that defensive barrier your home needs while being the affordable option. Also, they’re versatile and they’ll look great on any residential property.
It is worth noting that asphalt shingles do require maintenance more often than the more expensive products. They normally have a lifespan of 15-20 years. But there is the option to buy top-quality asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof needs to be an option when fixing up sections just don’t do the job anymore. A roof replacement is required if you’re dealing with these kinds of issues:
- AGE: When your roof is older, the likelihood of having it be replaced becomes greater. Asphalt shingles are quite common amongst residential houses and these usually have a 15-20 year lifespan. If your roof has aged this much, it’s a good choice to get regular inspections in order to figure out when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a clue that the deck plywood is rotted. This isn't ideal, and this usually means you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof protects the rest of your home, so it should come as no surprise that the materials used for your roof will get worn out over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly how much a roof replacement is going to cost you since there are a few things that will influence the overall cost. Commonly, replacing your roof can cost anywhere from $4 to $40 per square foot, which includes the hours put into the project and the products being used. The price of your new roof will be calculated by the products you want for your roof, and you can expect that 60% of your cost will be for labor.
Estimating the size of your roof can also be hard if your roof is more complex since you’ll have to account for various angles. This is where a roofing specialist can be of assistance. They’ll be able to determine the measurements of your roof and give you an accurate estimate on the price of your roof.
Roofing Replacement & Roofing Repair Contractors near Scotch Plains, New Jersey
If you need to hire a roofing replacement or roofing repair company in Scotch Plains, New Jersey, there's a convenient way to find them. The roofing professionals you'll discover on Thumbtack have the skills and qualifications you’re looking for. You can find the best roofing contractor who takes extra measures in making sure that the finest customer service is implemented and that you get total satisfaction on your roofing repairs.
Our site also puts together a wealth of information to help you prior to browsing through our database of licensed roofing contractors.
Regularly, scheduled appointments can help you keep up with any damage before it degrades any further and allows you to prolong the life of your roof. So, how do you know when you need a licensed, roofing maintenance contractor to come out to your home? You may realize there are certain things to look out for, including:
- Leaking: Water stains on the ceiling or walls are a sign of your roof leaking. A good roofer can fix the issue right away and prevent it from getting worse.
- Roof Decks that Sag: Get repairs immediately if you notice a sagging roof deck since it can lead to serious issues. Roofing repairs done by a professional will resolve the issue and avoid replacement services.
- Valleys in Your Roof: Roofs are built to allow snow and rain to stream through the valleys and into your gutters. If there are shingles missing or they're falling apart, you could experience some leaks.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing is important because it's used to seal joints and prevent water. Contact a roofing repair company to fix broken, loose, or missing flashing to avoid water leaks.
- Shingles: Inspecting your shingles will let you know if replacing them is necessary. If a patch of them are very discolored, replacing those is a smart idea so that your roof doesn't undergo more extensive damages.
Thumbtack is a free app that gives you a convenient option to find the best contractors to address your roofing needs. Whether you’re looking for a roofing repair company or a replacement contractor, your job is streamlined through our app.