Find a Cabinet Painter in Secaucus, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Secaucus
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which type of paint is used for cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that modern appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. The best place to focus on is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Check that any professional you consider gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always enticing to quickly begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How can I estimate the price of cabinet painting?
There are many things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Secaucus, NJ, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Secaucus, NJ to Bring Your Ideas to Life
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Secaucus, NJ fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Secaucus, NJ easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.