Find a Cabinet Painter in Skillman, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Skillman
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for interior walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that elegant aesthetic. Common wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
How can I know I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the most suitable one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Check that any professional you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I just paint over my existing cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to the cost of painting cabinets?
There are many factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Skillman, New Jersey, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll need to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Beautify Your Cabinets for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter Near Skillman, New Jersey
An exceptional way to increase the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Skillman, New Jersey varies, but many homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Skillman, New Jersey easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.