Find a pro in Somerville, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The amount of time that is needed to replace a roof will be based on the dimensions of your roof, however, there are also a lot of other factors to think about. The typical roof for a residential property is around 3,000 sq. feet (sometimes less), so normally, a roofing contractor can complete a roof replacement within a day’s time.
Something else you need to take into account is the weather forecast in your area. Storms will put a stop to work and this can really delay the job. If bad weather is expected to take place during your scheduled project, you should anticipate your roof taking a few more days to get done.
The layout of your roof is another thing that you should consider. Its pitch, the number of angles, valleys, and hips will need to be factored in when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for the job. A roof with more features will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement professional can come up with the hours for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The most affordable style of roof is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the lower-cost product, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. In fact, you’ll see most homes in your area with asphalt shingling on the roof since they are reliable and serve the purpose of protecting your property in addition to being more budget friendly. Also, they have a simple style that will look great on any home.
Asphalt shingles do need to be replaced more often than the more pricier products. They usually have a 15-20 year lifespan. But you can also get higher-end asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
You should replace your roof when fixing up sections won't hold up. A roof replacement is required if you’re dealing with these types of issues:
- AGE: When your roof has aged, the likelihood of having it be replaced becomes greater. Asphalt shingles are a regular selection for residential homes and these usually have a lifespan of 15-20 years. If your roof is around this age, it’s a good choice to get routine inspections in order to determine when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: If your roof is drooping, it's a sign that the plywood decking is damaged. Sagging is not a good sign, and this usually means you need your roof replaced.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof is a great barrier for the rest of your property, so there should be no surprise that the materials used for your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s hard to come up with an exact amount on how much a new roof is going to cost you since there are a few factors that will influence the overall cost. Usually, replacing your roof is in the ballpark of $4 to $40 per square foot, which includes labor and the products being used. The cost of your new roof will be determined by the products you want installed, and you can expect that 60% of your cost will be towards labor.
Estimating the layout of your roof can also be challenging if you have a more complex roof since you’ll have to factor in various angles. This is where a roofing professional can be of assistance. They’ll be able to figure out the measurements of your roof and provide you with an accurate estimate on the cost of your roof.
Top 10 Painting Professionals nearHome // New Jersey // Somerville
Roofing Maintenance Contractors near Somerville, New Jersey
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home management platform that helps you connect with roofing replacement and roofing repair contractors in Somerville, New Jersey. See what experiences other customers have had, talk directly with the roofing repair company want to hire, schedule a service appointment, and pay all from one easy-to-use app.
It's crucial to have a roof you can depend on for your house at any time during the year. For a secure home with a roof designed to last, you can hire the best roofing replacement and roofing repair contractors through Thumbtack.
For the most part you'll know when it's time to reach out to a roofing replacement or roofing repair company, but here are some other aspects to take into account:
- The Age of Your Roof: Approximately 20-25 years is expected of a roof, so if you think your roof is older than that, you may want to contact a roofer to come inspect it.
- Warps or Buckling: The boards used for decking can end up warping or are bending over time.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: A build up of granules from shingles accumulate in your gutters, and shingles wearing down are not a good sign. A roofing maintenance company will clean your gutters in addition to inspecting your shingles.
- The Chimney Flashing: When the flashing around your chimney is tar or roof cement you may want a water-tight fitting such as a metal flashing system.
- Missing or damaged shingles: If you notice there are shingles that are ripped, in pieces, or completely missing, it's a sign that your roof needs an inspection. Roofing maintenance services will identify deteriorated shingles and provide top-notch repairs to prevent leaks from doing more damage.
Thumbtack is free to use and provides you a hassle-free option to hire the best professionals for roofing replacement and roofing repair services. No matter if you’re looking for a roofing replacement company or a repair contractor, your job is made easier with our app.