Find a Cabinet Painter in Woodbridge, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Woodbridge
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited to the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint typically used for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant appearance. Common wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Is it difficult to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to focus on is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any painter you consider gives written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Woodbridge, NJ, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Woodbridge, NJ Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A quick way to increase the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Woodbridge, NJ varies, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets might be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Woodbridge, NJ easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.