Find a Cabinet Painter in Carson City, Nevada
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which variety of paint do you use on cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their modern appearance. Typical wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Is it hard to find a good cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Check that any painter you hire gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the long prep stage necessary prior to painting my cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the average cost for a professional cabinet painter?
There are several factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Carson City, NV, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Carson City, NV
A quick way to boost the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Carson City, NV varies, but many customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Carson City, NV easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.