Find a Cabinet Painter in Amsterdam, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited by the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for interior walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated look. Common wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
What features do I search for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The first place to begin is by understanding exactly what style you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Do I have to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to the price of painting cabinets?
There are many things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Amsterdam, NY, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Amsterdam, NY to Bring Your Vision to Life
A quick way to boost the value of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Amsterdam, NY varies, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Amsterdam, NY confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.