Find Deck Staining in Arkville, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep should be performed before staining a deck?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding area must be performed to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed or sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid typically providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your house and grounds.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option best suits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to flaking and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for your needs.
Is the cost of professional deck staining justified by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck comes with many benefits, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the style of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The weather in Arkville, NY is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Arkville, NY on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting gives more variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away under frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a pro who can deliver excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Arkville, NY and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.