Find a Cabinet Painter in Arverne, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their modern appearance. Typical wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How can I know I've found the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of effort. The first place to start is by knowing precisely what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you hire provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is it really crucial to prime and sand cabinets before painting?
It's always enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my current cabinets?
There are many factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Arverne, NY, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Arverne, NY to Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Arverne, NY fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets might be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Arverne, NY easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.