Find a Cabinet Painter in Athol Springs, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // Athol Springs
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a difference with cabinet paint and regular paint?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for home walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek appearance. Typical wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Is it simple to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to start is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any contractor you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Is the difficult prep phase necessary when painting my cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How can you estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are several factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Athol Springs, New York, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Athol Springs, New York
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Athol Springs, New York fluctuates, but many homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Athol Springs, New York easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.