Find Deck Staining in Aurora, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's essential to assess which option best suits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance due to flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly cured, requires less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for your needs.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Aurora, NY poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include keeping out pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
What sort of time frame should I anticipate from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleaned of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application during the next step. The environment surrounding the work area, including pathways and buildings, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you understand the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's crucial that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting for the curing step.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but attention to detail is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job fast while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Aurora, NY on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can share regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers more variety of colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it peels away beneath steady use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Aurora, NY and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.