Find Deck Staining in Bedford Hills, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option best fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance because of chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of defense from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for your needs.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Bedford Hills, New York poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application during the following step. Anything around the work area, like walkways and buildings, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting for the drying step.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is critical to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Can the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive moisture will extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Bedford Hills, New York on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its appearance and providing unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away under constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting a pro who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Bedford Hills, New York and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.