Find a Cabinet Painter in Bedford, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // Bedford
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the style of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their elegant appearance. Typical wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
How can I pick the right painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The first place to start is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any contractor you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Is it really crucial to prime and sand cabinets before painting?
It's may be tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my kitchen cabinets?
There are several things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Bedford, NY, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Bedford, NY
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Bedford, NY fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Find all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Bedford, NY easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.