Find a Cabinet Painter in Bohemia, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // Bohemia
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be restricted to the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint usually used for home walls will face many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their modern look. Common wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Is it easy to find a good cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you hire gives written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing cost for painting cabinets?
There are many things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Bohemia, New York, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With a Reliable Cabinet Painter Near Bohemia, New York
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Bohemia, New York varies, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Bohemia, New York easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.