Find Deck Staining in Canandaigua, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the benefits of applying stain to my deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's important to analyze which option best meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to maintain, and has other advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense against water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be right for you and your home.
Does staining my deck provide any benefits other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Canandaigua, NY is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include stopping pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multistage process that needs careful preparation and application to obtain the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a consistent application during the following step. The environment around the work area, like walkways and buildings, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's critical that the deck is not used and that the weather is suitable throughout the curing step.
All of these steps can be complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Which season of the year is recommended for undertaking a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long curing should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Canandaigua, NY on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers more versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining any deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Canandaigua, NY and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.