Find a Cabinet Painter in Chenango Forks, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I restricted by the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sleek appearance. Typical wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
How do I pick a cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project has started that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Is the difficult prep phase a necessity prior to painting all cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their components, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my existing cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Chenango Forks, NY, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Chenango Forks, NY Who Will Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Chenango Forks, NY fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Chenango Forks, NY easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.