Find a Cabinet Painter in Circleville, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the appearance of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that modern look. Common wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
Is it hard to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to find the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to start is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be enticing to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What factors are considered when it comes to the cost for painting cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Circleville, New York, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Circleville, New York to Bring Your Ideas to Life
A quick way to increase the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Circleville, New York varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Circleville, New York confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.