Find a Cabinet Painter in Commack, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // Commack
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any difference with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
Which features should I expect in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the best one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to focus on is by understanding precisely what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any professional you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep step necessary prior to painting my cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing price of painting cabinets?
There are many factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Commack, NY, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Commack, NY Who Will Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to increase the value of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide a new look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Commack, NY varies, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Commack, NY easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.