Find Deck Staining in Commack, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // New York // Commack
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a better choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's important to assess which option most meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more maintenance because of peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for your needs.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Commack, NY poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long might it take an expert to complete a deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a smooth application of the stain. Anything around the work area, like pathways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's important that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting for the curing process.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Will the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long curing should take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Commack, NY on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away under steady use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Commack, NY and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.