Find a Cabinet Painter in Deferiet, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which variety of paint is used for cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek aesthetic. Common wall paints might not stick properly to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
How can I find a painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by knowing exactly what look you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any contractor you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's always enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach those edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How can I estimate the price of cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Deferiet, NY, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Deferiet, NY to Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Deferiet, NY varies, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Deferiet, NY easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.