Find a Cabinet Painter in Dobbs Ferry, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // Dobbs Ferry
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What kind of paint do you use with cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that modern aesthetic. Common wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
How do I choose a cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their previous work matching your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any professional you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always tempting to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How do you estimate the cost for cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Dobbs Ferry, New York, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Dobbs Ferry, New York
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your house and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Dobbs Ferry, New York fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be happy to share a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Dobbs Ferry, New York easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.