Find a Cabinet Painter in Dryden, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited by the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for interior walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek look. Common wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
Which qualities should I search for from a reliable cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by knowing exactly what look you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you hire provides documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's always tempting to quickly begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Dryden, New York, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Dryden, New York
A smart way to enhance the value of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Dryden, New York varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Dryden, New York confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.