Find a Cabinet Painter in East Amherst, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // East Amherst
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited by the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
What qualities do I look for from a professional cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is it necessary to prime and sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How do I estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are several things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around East Amherst, New York, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor in East Amherst, New York Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around East Amherst, New York varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in East Amherst, New York easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.