Find a Cabinet Painter in Ellisburg, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which kind of paint I use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek look. Typical wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to start is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any contractor you hire provides written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project has started that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Is it necessary to prime and sand cabinets before painting?
It's always enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Ellisburg, NY, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Renew Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Ellisburg, NY
A smart way to increase the appeal of your home and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Ellisburg, NY varies, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Ellisburg, NY confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.