Find a pro in Elmira, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement really depends on the size of your roof, but there are also many other things involved. The average residential roof is approximately 3,000 sq. feet, so generally speaking, a roofing professional can complete a roof replacement within a working day.
Something else you need to take into consideration is the weather forecast in Elmira, NY. Bad weather will make working conditions terrible and this is going to extend the timeline. If a storm is supposed to take place during your scheduled project, you should anticipate your roof taking a few more days to complete.
The style of your roof is an important thing that you should take into account. Its grade, the number of joints, valleys, and hips will need to be factored in when your roofing contractor is quoting you on the job. A roof with more features will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement professional can come up with a timeline for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The style of roof that's the most budget friendly is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the lower-cost option, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. In fact, you’ll see most homes in your area with asphalt shingling on the roof since they are durable and serve the purpose of creating that defensive barrier your home needs in addition to being more budget friendly. Also, they’re versatile and they’ll look good on any home.
Asphalt shingles do wear out faster and require maintenance more often than the more expensive products. They usually have a lifespan of 15-20 years. But you can also buy higher-grade asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
You should consider replacing your roof when fixing up sections just don’t cut it anymore. A roof replacement is needed if you’re putting up with these types of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the likelihood of having it be replaced is greater. Asphalt shingles are a regular selection for residential houses and these typically have a lifespan of 15-20 years. When your roof is around this age, it’s a good choice to get routine inspections so you can determine when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a sign that the deck plywood is rotted. Sagging is not a good sign, and this does mean you need your roof replaced.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof protects the rest of your home, so it should come as no surprise that the materials used for your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s hard to narrow down how much a new roof is going to cost you since there are a few things that will determine the overall cost. Usually, a new roof falls anywhere between $4 to $40 per square foot, which includes labor and the products being used. The cost of your new roof will be determined by the products you want for your roof, and it's expected that 60% of your cost will be for labor.
Measuring the size of your roof can also be challenging if you have a more complex roof since you’ll have to account for hips, gabbles, and other angles. This is where a roofing expert can be helpful to you. They’ll be able to figure out the square footage of your roof and give you an accurate estimate on the cost of your roof replacement.
Roofing Repair & Roofing Replacement Services near Elmira, NY
You can look to Thumbtack to simplify your search for roofing maintenance services in Elmira, NY. Our user-friendly site is easy to navigate, so you can search through various profiles and easily narrow down your options. We help with the hiring process by giving you access to in-depth customer reviews, pricing, years in business, and more. Begin your search for a roofing maintenance company on the app and hire the best candidate for the job.
Our site also puts together useful data to help you prior to sifting through our database of vetted roofing contractors.
Are you looking for roofing maintenance services? With the exception of having leaks or other glaring issues, there are a few things that might determine whether a roof repair is a wise decision.
- Age: Approximately 20-25 years is how long a standard roof lasts, so if you think your roof has been around for longer, you may want to contact a roofing contractor to come check it out.
- Warps or Buckling: The boards that make your roof can end up warping or are bending over time.
- Valleys in Your Roof: Roofs are designed to let snow and rain stream through the valleys and into your gutters. When there aren't any shingles in place or they're falling apart, you could experience some leaks.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing is important because it's used to seal joints and prevent water penetration. A roofer can fix damaged, loose, or missing flashing to avoid water leaks.
- Damaged or missing shingles: Cracked, warped, or missing shingles will need to be swapped out with new ones by an expert. Regular maintenance services will help you address problems like this and avoid leaks.
It's unnecessary to deal with a run-down roof when there are so many licensed contractors ready to help. With our easy-to-use platform, you can get the best roofing maintenance services in Elmira, NY. Get the roofing maintenance services you need for your home today.