Find a Cabinet Painter in Endicott, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint is used for cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
What qualities should I expect from a reliable cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to start is by understanding exactly what look you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work matching your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any professional you hire provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep step necessary prior to painting my cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my existing cabinets?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Endicott, New York, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter Near Endicott, New York to Bring Your Ideas to Life
A quick way to increase the value of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Endicott, New York fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your present cabinets may be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Endicott, New York confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.