Find a Cabinet Painter in Florida, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // Florida
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited by the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that modern aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
How will I determine if I've picked the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you consider gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the long prep step a necessity when painting my cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How do you estimate the price of cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Florida, New York, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Florida, New York to Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them a new look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Florida, New York varies, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Florida, New York easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.