Find a Cabinet Painter in Fort Johnson, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to update the look of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How can I choose the right painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to start is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any professional you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep phase necessary before painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach any places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the usual cost of a professional cabinet painter?
There are many things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Fort Johnson, NY, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Fort Johnson, NY Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to increase the appeal of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Fort Johnson, NY fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Fort Johnson, NY easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.