Find a Cabinet Painter in Franklin Square, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // Franklin Square
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to update the appearance of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their elegant aesthetic. Common wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to begin is by knowing exactly what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any professional you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Is it really crucial to prime and sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Franklin Square, NY, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter in Franklin Square, NY
A quick way to enhance the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Franklin Square, NY fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Franklin Square, NY easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.