Find a Cabinet Painter in Gansevoort, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to update the style of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant look. Typical wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
Which features should I search for from a professional cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the most suitable one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what look you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their past work matching your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any painter you hire gives written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I need to pay to paint my used cabinets?
There are several things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Gansevoort, NY, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painter in Gansevoort, NY Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to increase the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Gansevoort, NY varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Gansevoort, NY confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.