Find Deck Staining in Glens Falls, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does deck staining offer less benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's essential to assess which option most suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep due to peeling and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is best for you and your home.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Glens Falls, NY poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long can it take a contractor to complete my deck staining project?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that requires careful preparation and application to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, like walkways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you choose the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the curing process.
Each of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but proper execution is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
What is the optimal season for staining my deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing should take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Glens Falls, NY on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its look and delivering long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away beneath steady use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Glens Falls, NY and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.