Find Deck Staining in Holley, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a significant variance in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option most meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has other advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of defense from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for you and your home.
Can staining a deck give any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck provides many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Holley, New York is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include keeping out insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multiphase project that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, like pathways and structures, will have to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is suitable for the drying step.
Each of these steps can be complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while delivering your desired look and durability.
Will the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Holley, New York on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and providing long-lasting durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away under steady use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years if properly cured.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Holley, New York and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.