Find a Cabinet Painter in Horseheads, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the style of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
How do I find the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any professional you hire provides written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep phase necessary when painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my current cabinets?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Horseheads, NY, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Kitchen for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter in Horseheads, NY
A smart way to boost the appeal of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Horseheads, NY fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Horseheads, NY easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.