Find a Cabinet Painter in Jefferson Valley, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // Jefferson Valley
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the look of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Common wall paints may not stick sufficiently to cabinets or start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Is it hard to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up after the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Jefferson Valley, NY, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Jefferson Valley, NY Who Will Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Jefferson Valley, NY fluctuates, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When looking for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Jefferson Valley, NY easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.