Find Deck Staining in Keene, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does the climate play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Before staining a deck, what are the preparatory actions that should be taken?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be conducted to ensure a good result. Vegetation should be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the style of your house and lawn.
What are some benefits of staining my deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's essential to analyze which option most suits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of defense from moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for your needs.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Keene, New York is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Keene, New York on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides better variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under steady foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Keene, New York and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.