Find a Cabinet Painter in Kirkville, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what type of paint I use for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that modern appearance. Common wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets or start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to begin is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Check that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project commences that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How can you estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Kirkville, NY, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Beautify Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Kirkville, NY
A quick way to increase the value of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them a new look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Kirkville, NY fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Kirkville, NY confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.