Find a Cabinet Painter in La Fayette, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to update the style of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that modern aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
How will I know I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by understanding precisely what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their previous work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any painter you hire provides documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the long prep step necessary when painting my cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will it cost to paint my used cabinets?
There are several things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around La Fayette, NY, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Beautify Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in La Fayette, NY
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near La Fayette, NY varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near La Fayette, NY confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.