Find Deck Staining in Lakeville, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Before staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that should be taken?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding environment needs to be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally providing superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the style of your home and yard.
What are the benefits of applying stain to my deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's essential to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of defense from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for your needs.
Can staining my deck help shield it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the look of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Lakeville, New York is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Lakeville, New York on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer regarding picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting gives more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it peels away under constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a pro who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Lakeville, New York and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.